Dental Implants offer an immediate and permanent alternative for missing teeth, dentures, and for people losing their teeth. They are often called “dental screws” “dental posts” or even “dental inplants” – but the correct term is “dental implant”.
The most common reasons for having tooth implants abroad are:
- the replacement of one, more or all missing teeth
- the replacement of full or partial denture
- to support a ceramic tooth bridge
- to support a fixed denture
Dental Implants are titanium biocompatible rods or screws that are embedded into the jawbone. An extension (called an abutment) is then secured to the dental implant so that a new dental crown can placed on it, giving you the fully functionality and look of natural teeth that will last longer than a lifetime.
Implants can fully replace your bridgework, denture or can more efficiently support your bridge or denture than any other method. You can either replace all missing teeth with dental implants, or replace them partially with implants, which can support bridges or a denture resulting in fixed or permanent teeth replacements which function and look like real teeth.
The advantages of dental implantation
- It is the closest thing to a real tooth.
- It has one of the highest success rates among dental restorations
- Ensures comfort in feeling and appearance
- Replaces your dentures so that you can eat, speak and smile well
- Increases the chewing efficiency over denture or other tooth replacement
- Replaces a single tooth avoiding the need to prepare the teeth to support a bridge
- Lasts long and does not decay
Dental Implant Limitations
The primary limiting factor in implant therapy is the amount of bone available to support the implant in the lower or upper jaw. There are a number of tests to assess the amount of bone available, the most common being the use of digital OPG x-ray. If a patient does not have enough bone to support an implant, bone substitution (a bone graft or a sinus lift) can solve that problem.
How successful are dental implants?
The success rate for dental implants in patients with healthy mouths have been showing a high rate of 90-95%. However, there are some factors that can lower the success rate of implants. These include unstable gum disease, smoking, poor oral hygiene, poor quality jaw bone, diabetes, and patients that have a lot of severe tooth grinding.
It is also evident that the long term success of dental implants also depends on the patients ability to keep the implants clean. Thus, we normally recommend regular maintenance visits (every 6 months) to the dentist for our patients after completion of dental implants, to ensure that the implants remain healthy. failure to keep implants clean over a long period can lead to failure on the implants, and this is why we advise our patients to have regular hygiene visits.
Good tooth implant brands
Currently, there are over 2000 dental brands available. Some world leaders or innovative manufacturers of proven dental implants are as follows:
- Biomet 3i (Florida, USA) -Has served the oral reconstruction marketplace since the late 1980s and offers a very comprehensive line of dental implants as well as abutments. Their technologies also ensure adequate site preparation and some regenerative dentistry products.
- Straumann (Switzerland) Focuses on oral tissue regeneration technologies and products as well as restorative dentistry, including implants including creating techniques and technologies to encourage optimal tissue healing, recovery time, and response to implant technologies.
- Branemark System (Sweden)
- Zimmer (California, USA) – Known for their innovative prosthetics and regenerative products. They offer implants of all types noted for their suitability in general practice, periodontitis, prosthodontics, oral surgery and pedodontics. Some of their most common brands include the BioMend Extend Membrane, Hex Lock Contour Abutments, one piece implants and particulate allografts.
- Pitt-easy (Oralthronics)
- Ankylos (Germany) –
- Nobel Biocare (USA) – this leading company is a global dentistry producer and offer a fully integrated line of implants, bridges and crowns for advanced techniques into tooth reconstruction.
- BioHorizons – specializes in innovative and advanced implant technologies, including computer guided surgery software. Utilizing the Maestro External Implant System and Laser Lock technologies, BioHorizons offers dental implant and biologics products in over 80 markets around the world.
Although they do vary in price and quality, you can be sure that with Dental Holiday, you’ll have access to some of the worlds best implants brands at the current discounted price displayed on our dental price list.
Because at Dental Holiday, it’s our mission to be provide the latest and best science-based solutions that help dental professionals to make a real and lasting difference to the well-being of their patients, and empower them to lead healthier and more satisfying lives.
How long does a dental implant last?
Our dental implants are guaranteed for life. You can’t beat that..:-)
Updated and reviewed by the doctors & medical team of Smile Clinic in Slovakia